Growing Gardens & Writing Books: Homemade Gardening Remedies   

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homemade Gardening Remedies

It is now June 4th and I have to send a special shout out to a very helpful gardening enthusiast, John Tenison. In one of those passing conversations, I mentioned I have been having a problem with my cucumbers, squash, and watermelon. Every year they grow and every year a white powdery substance devours them! The solution? Soap and water! Now, I know there are a lot of easy homemade tricks that work well in the garden but I could not pinpoint what the white powder was so I had no idea how to stop it. It is apparently a fungus and a simple solution of soap and water sprayed onto the leaves took care of it. Another trick he offered up was to boil tobacco (I got a can of cheap snuff, longcut) like a tea. Strain the tobacco leaves out and you are left with a homemade solution for pest control. Now, remember to not use too much, you don't want to get rid of the beneficial bugs too! Please let me know if you have any easy homemade tricks for gardening. Love to hear from ya!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts.